Sunday, February 16, 2014

Peace.

       Have you ever thought of peace as a Christ-like Attribute?  As I was thinking about which Christ-like attribute I wanted to exemplify this week, the word peace kept coming to mind.  I thought about Christ and how He faced His persecutors and how He forgave His debtors and those who hated Him and hung Him on a cross.  I thought about how he said, "Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid." (John 14:27).  I think that inside and outside, Christ was a very peaceful man.  He gave the world peace.  He is the Prince of Peace.  What does that mean for me?  How can I be more peaceful?  
       It's crazy, pretty much every time, consistently, that I choose a christ-like attribute, there is a devotional or a talk in church or something in my scripture study that just relates SUPER well.  This week, the devotional at BYU-Idaho was just what I needed.  It came at a time when I wasn't feeling very peaceful, and needed some peace.  If you go to http://web.byui.edu/devotionalsandspeeches/speeches.aspx you can listen to Sister Swenson's devotional address as MP3 file.  I believe later it will be in a video format as well.  It is SOooo good!  I know that Christ wants us to be peaceful inside and that he wants us to not fear or be worried, but simply believe.  He wants us to have faith that all things we go through will be for our good.  My second mission president, President Edgren, told us about how at one point in his life he came to the realization that he should STOP WORRYING and only PONDER.  There is a big difference.  Pondering is peaceful.  Worrying is not.  What can you do in your life to share that peace the gospel brings? How can you help others feel peaceful when they are... in common terms... freaking out. :)
       I think having a scripture at the ready is helpful to bring peace.  I think simply believing in the best possible outcome, and sharing positive, uplifting thoughts can bring peace.  Once again, the TEMPLE is a place where peace reigns.  We can go to the temple often to bring a peace into our lives that otherwise just can not be.  Peace comes from living the commandments.  Peace comes from trusting our Father in Heaven.  I love peace!  I will continue to strive to have peace in my life.
       This week was fun, here are some highlights:
       Monday for Family Home Evening, my group up at BYU-Idaho watched the Olympics and the boys bought pizza and we had hot chocolate and cup-cakes as well.  It was a hoot.  It was fun to watch the olympians.  They are so amazing!
       On Tuesday a boy in my fourth grade class (I have a college class that has me in the schools 2 hours every Tuesday and Thursday) asked me when I was leaving them.  I only have about a week left, and I told him that.  He said, "Well that sucks!"  It was so funny.  (I don't usually say that word, but I guess quoting a fourth grader saying it about me feels alright...haha)... It feels good to be loved. The kids are trying to guess my first name because as of right now they only know me as 'Miss Allen.'  On Thursday they told me that I looked like a Chelsea.  Interesting.  :) They are so cute.  I love my fourth graders.
       On Wednesday, my family came into town for my dad's cousin's wedding.  Laura Mumm got married on Thursday and had her reception the day before.  She looked so pretty and she MADE here dress! Awesome!  I've always looked up to her, she just seems so cool!  
       On Thursday I had three basketball games!  We lost the first two and won the third by the skin of our teeth.  It was pretty intense.  And since I injured my right knee last Saturday playing sports, I was grateful that it held strong all the way through the night.  So fun!  I love basketball... but you already knew that.
       Friday I drove down from Rexburg with some friends and found myself in Provo again!  It's weird to be here in Provo, after being gone for just a month and a half.  But it's also so good to be back.  I love the location of my home in Provo, it's so gorgeous here!  I love being with my little brothers and seeing my Provo friends.  I am so grateful to be able to live at least this close to home! :)  Don't know when I'll get back down here again, but I love it.  I also miss Rexburg in some ways!  Which is good!  That means I'm really enjoying it up there.  Yay! 
      Saturday I played basketball with friends in Provo.  I started reading 'Ender's Game' (Ender's dad is POLISH! Cool!)  Then I watched James and Luke's basketball games.  Then we went out to eat for James' birthday dinner that they postponed.  I've been eating like a queen.  I love it!  That's another positive thing about coming home for long weekends!  Free food! :)  We watched the BYU Basketball game - Go Cougs!  We won!  Then we watched October Sky.  Awesome.  I want to do something awesome this week, like inspiring!  October Sky was a pretty inspiring movie.
       So here we find ourselves on Sunday, and I love Sundays.  They are full of peace!  I need to decide which Christ-like attribute to do next week, got to decide soon!  James, Luke, and Hyrum are all writing in their journals.  I think Spencer is taking a nap.  The sun is going down, and it's just so pretty out here!  Life is good to me.  
       I hope you know that I know that The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints is TRUE!  Live it, love it, believe it. :)
      Till next time,
            - Amber Allen

No comments:

Post a Comment